Popular Posts

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Studio Houses

As we all know, living in Manhattan is expensive. Typically, you get a very small house for lots of $$$$. After graduation, I knew I wanted to work in New York City. After I accepted a job offer, I bought a small studio house with the help of a broker.

My studio house is rectangular and it was unfurnished. I instantly fell in love with it because:
1) It was on 7th floor (View from my window)
2) It was small and cozy (Very homely)
3) Lots of closet space (A girl definitely needs that!)
4) My bathtub had a jacuzzi! (Yes, the best thing on cold evenings)

I tried to draw the layout of my apartment to give a better understanding of my house. Its not up to scale but close...

So to furnish my apartment, I made a trip to the closest IKEA. I didn't want to crowd up my small space so I bought just the essentials. Also, I made sure all of the things below were the same color and pattern. I went for dark shades or color because the color of my wood flooring was very light. (Check image below)
1) Couch
2) Dresser
3) Bed
4) Divider (We'll talk more about this)
5) Night stand/table

Out of these, my best purchase was the Divider. 

What does my Divider do? 

It gives the illusion or feeling of a bedroom for your bed. It separates my bed from the kitchen, door and the bathroom. Its not as big as my queen size bed but it works perfectly. Its like a small corner space for the "bedroom". 


The divider I purchased from IKEA is square shaped with lots of shelves. Perfect to keep things in if your night table falls too small for you. My night stand definitely doesn't hold all my mess. I also keep my night lamp in one of this shelves. 

The image alongside is the image of the divider. (sorry about the mess hahaha)  The bed is on the other side. I fixed cabinets and drawers for the shelves because it creates more space to keep things orderly. You can also get the cubical baskets to put in there and it fits perfectly. I keep photo frames in there as well. 

So here is how I set up my small studio apartment. Its perfect and it doesn't feel "studio-ish" anymore! 

Hope you like it :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment