Popular Posts

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Start of something new

It all began after my 10th grade. One summer afternoon, I read a newspaper article about students going abroad (America) to complete their high school education.

American shows were very popular in all parts of the world even then. I grew up watching those TV series and Hollywood chick flicks. Always fascinated by the culture and lifestyle of the American life…I wondered if I could have it. I want to study in America too and experience that culture, I decided.


The next step was to convince my parents for it. 16, young and naïve to be sent so far they thought. I knew they wouldn’t take me seriously. After a lot of promises, tears and persuading, I was told I could go after completing my high school.  Mind you, the high school education system in my country was very different than American school system. They let me take my SAT test and IELTS (entrance exams for international students) during my 12th grade.

I applied to 5 American Universities. I came home one evening and my mom handed me a USPS package. I knew exactly what it was. They say, you know you are accepted or not by the size of the packet. Mine was BIG! I tore the packet anxious to know whether I got in or no. And there it was. A letter starting with ‘CONGRATULATIONS!’ and I did not feel the need to read further. That was my first university acceptance letter. My parents were so excited for me because I was accepted in a New York university with a scholarship!

That summer, I was busy getting my visa and college papers in order. I spent the entire day with my family and evenings with my friends. It was a great but busy summer. It was time to leave my land and start this new journey of my life. I was too excited to miss anything or anyone at home. I think I was well trained for what was coming from my cousins in London and ofcourse, the Internet.

My parents accompanied me till my university and helped me set up my dorm. I was glad they stayed with me during the initial period because I knew no one there. After my orientation, my parents came to pick me up from campus for dinner. I saw my dads surprised face when I introduced him to all the friends I had made during orientation. (I wasn’t exactly the extrovert type those days LOL). And the day came when they had to leave. I knew they were scared leaving me alone in a new country all by myself. I was the first kid from my family to study in America. No, I did not have ANY relatives in this country. Scary? Yes, but I convinced myself I was strong enough to handle. Before leaving, my parents gave me the responsibility and safety talk. They sat in the cab and I saw them leave for the airport.



And I stood there outside, alone, anxious, a little scared and lonely. And then I smiled to myself thinking; I was going to live my dream.





Then there I was, 4 years later, watching my parents, this time along with my sister sit in the cab and leave for the airport. I stood there outside, alone, anxious a little scared and lonely holding the navy blue folder, my college degree. I looked down at it and smiled to myself thinking, yet again, I was going to live my dream… The new dream I had for myself while I plant my foot in the real world. And I knew it was the start of something new.



The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment